More and more college-age kids are landing in emergency rooms after ingesting the designer drug known as Molly, but experts tell NBC News that many of the kids who think they’re using Molly are really taking something else -- often something more harmful, like bath salts.
Molly, usually sold as a white powder in a capsule, is the modern-day and allegedly purer reboot of the venerable party drug Ecstasy, also known by its chemical name, MDMA. Emergency room visits linked to Molly have doubled since 2004, and deaths attributed to the drug in Boston, Washington, Florida, Illinois and Canada have grabbed headlines over the past year. Most recently, an outdoor music festival in New York City was canceled Sunday when two concert goers died and four more fell ill after reportedly taking Molly.
But experts say there’s no way to know for certain what many Molly users are actually ingesting. “That’s one of the most dangerous things about the situation now,” said Dr. Julie Holland, a psychiatrist and the editor of “Ecstasy: The Complete Guide.” “You have no idea what you’re getting.”
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment